Cornell University

John Reps Bastides Collection


Known as Villeneuve-d'Agenais until 1789, this bastide was renamed when the Sénéchaussée was eliminated. It was then more than 500 years old, having its origins in a cession of land in 1253 to Alphonse de Poitiers by the religious order that owned the site. This place was on the right bank of the Lot at the ferry landing of Gajac. The rectilinear plan of the bastide was the work of a monk from the abbey of Eysses that had provided the land, a representative of Alphonse de Poitiers, and a notary from Agen, one Pons Maynard. More


Number of results to display per page
View results as:

Search Results